Sunday, July 26, 2026

She would have known!

She went much before the pandemic.
She just vanished one fine day.
Our lives were disrupted for years!
Simply shattered all over the place.
But even while arranging her funeral
Complex rituals, without a clue.
We could only think, if she were there,
She’d have known what to do!
 
Dilemmas would drive us crazy
Every day in myriad ways,
How to nurture a new-born baby,
How to deal with a pre-teen’s laze,
How to tame the rude milk lady,
Or to organise some festival days.
We would think and then say, “Maybe,
Let’s just do what Amma says!”
 
Her father didn’t think she’d study,
No degree or diploma she knew.
She had never been in a jazzy office,
Nor climbed a corporate ladder through.
Never went on a course from L&D,
Nor a workshop on EQ.
But if you’re dealing with your toxic boss,
She’d have known what to do!
 
If I need to know when to use Gemini,
Or Gamma, Notebook or Claude
When a picture or a video is real
And when it’s an AI fraud.
When a post is worth replying to
Or when it is just ragebait.
LLMs are just six years old
And she’d have been seventy-eight.
But no matter what the question,
I know this to be true.
It might have taken her time to learn but
She’d have known what to do!

If I watch a movie, find a song
Or look at a lovely scene.
If I read a poem in my native tongue
And want to know what it means.
Or should I reach a big milestone,
And turn around to preen.
I want to tell her just one more time
But she is nowhere to be seen!

My poem is not an epic song
With Eliot’s magical rhymes
It won’t stay in mind as long
As Will’s ‘Eternal Lines’.
But in some minds can it sound a gong,
To remember her one more time?

1 comment: